What was the role of the ‘Jobber’?
Points to remember:
- Getting jobs was always difficult even when mills multiplied and the demand for workers increased.
- The numbers seeking work were always more than the jobs available. Entry into the mills was also restricted.
- That is why industrialists employed “jobbers” to get recruits for them.
- The jobber later started demanding money and gifts for his favors and controlling the lives of workers.
Answer to be written in Exam:
- Jobber was an old and trusted worker employed by industrialists to get recruits.
- He got people from his village, ensured them jobs , helped them settle in the city, and provided them with money in times of crisis .
- The jobber was a person with some authority and powers.