Why is the use of iodised salt advisable?
- Thyroid gland produces thyroxine hormone .
- Thyroxine is involved in metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins and fats and helps to balance the amounts required for optimum growth.
- Iodine is very important for the thyroid gland to be able to produce thyroxine.
- So when there is a deficiency or decrease in the amount of Iodine in our diet, we might suffer from goiter .
- One of the symptoms of goite r is a swollen neck (thyroid gland is located near the neck).
- Thus iodised salt is advisable.