How do we detect the smell of an agarbatti (incense stick)?
Smell of agarbatti is detected in the following manner:
- The olfactory receptors in the nose receive the stimulus ( smell of agarbatti)
- Information is collected by the dendrite tips of sensory nerves .
- Electrical and chemical signals pass from one neuron to another.
- Signal reaches to the spinal cord
- The spinal cord transmits signals to the olfactory bulb of the forebrain
- The brain processes the information based on stimulus and already available information to detect the smell .
- Thus, we know the presence of stimuli and characteristics.