How does chemical coordination take place in animals?
- Nerve impulses reach only a limited number o f tissues in the body.
- But on the other hand, the chemical signals reach all the cells and the body prepares for a wide range of activities.
- Special molecules on the surface of cells recognise information, and even transmit it
- Chemical coordination is carried out by the endocrine system.
- It involves hormones.
- Hormones are the body's chemical messengers .
They are secreted by the glands of the endocrine system.
(Glands are organs which produce and release substances that perform specific functions in the body. )
- They travel in the bloodstream to tissues or organs .
- They play an important role in growth, development, metabolism, reproduction etc.
- Hormones are secreted in response to external as well as internal stimuli