Assertion (A): A white light on passing through prism splits into its component colours as such that the red light emerges nearest to the base of the prism.
Reason (R): Wavelength of red light is more than other component colours and hence, red light deviates least.
- The prism split the incident white light into 7 colors VIBGYOR - Violet, Indigo, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange and Red.
- Here, violet light emerges nearest to the base of the prism
- Wavelength is inversely proportional to the deviation in the path of the light.
- Red has the highest wavelength and violet the least
- Hence, red light deviates least .
- The assertion is false
- The reason is true
So, the correct answer is (d)