Ferrous minerals :

  • They account for about 3/4th of total value of production of metallic minerals.
  • They provide a strong base for development of metallurgical industries.
  • India is also an exporter of ferrous minerals.

IRON ORE :

  • Is the basic mineral and backbone of industrial development.
  • India has abundant resources of iron ore.
  • Magnetite is the finest iron ore with a very high content of iron upto 70%.
  • It has excellent magnetic qualities, valuable in the electric industry.
  • Hematite is the most important iron ore in terms of quantity used.
  • It has a lower iron content than magnetite , 50-60%. 
  • In 2018–19 almost the entire production of iron ore (97%) accrued from Odisha, Chhattisgarh, Karnataka, and Jharkhand. The remaining production (3%) was from other states. 

MAJOR IRON ORE BELTS IN INDIA :

Odisha jharkhand belt :

  • In Odisha, high grade hematite ore is found in Badampahar mines in Mayurbhanj and Kendujhar districts.
  • In Singhbhum district of Jharkhand, hematite iron ore is mined in Gua and Naomandi.

Durg Bastar chandrapur belt :

  • Lies in chhattisgarh and Maharashtra.
  • Very high grade hematites are found in famous of Bailadila range of hills in the Bastar district of Chhattisgarh.
  • Range of hills comprise of 14 deposits of super high grade hematite iron ore.
  • It has best physical properties for making steel.
  • Iron ore from these mines is exported to Japan and South Korea via vishakhapatnam port.

Ballari Chitradurga Chikkamagaluru Tumakuru belt :

  • This belt is in karnataka and has large reserves of iron ore .
  • Kudremukh mines located in western ghats of Karanataka are a 100% export unit.
  • Kudremukh deposits are known to be one of the largest in the world.
  • The ore is transported as slurry through a pipeline to a port near Mangaluru.

Maharashtra Goa belt :

  • Includes the state of Goa and Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra.
  • Though, the ores are not of very high quality, yet they are efficiently expoited.
  • Iron ore is exported through Marmagao port.

Manganese :

  • Mainly used in the manufacturing of steel and ferro manganese alloy.
  • Nearly 10kg of manganese is required to manufacture 1 tonne of steel.
  • It is also used in manufacturing bleaching powder, insecticides and paints.
Ask a doubt
Davneet Singh's photo - Co-founder, Teachoo

Made by

Davneet Singh

Davneet Singh has done his B.Tech from Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur. He has been teaching from the past 14 years. He provides courses for Maths, Science, Social Science, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science at Teachoo.