Plastids are double membraned organelles (having 2 membranes) and are found only in plant cells .
These are responsible for:
- Manufacturing and storing food in the plant.
- Plastids called leucoplasts manufacture and store starch , oils and proteins needed by the plant.
- Chloroplast is also a type of plastid.
- It contains the green colour pigment called chlorophyll that gives leaves their green colour. It also contains pigments of other colours such as red, yellow and orange .
- Therefore the colours of all leaves and plants we see around us are because of the organelles, plastids.