Since NCERT Books are changed, we are still changing the name of content in images and videos. It would take some time.
But, we assure you that the question is what you are searching for, and the content is the best -Teachoo Promise. If you have any feedback, please contact us.
- The endoplasmic reticulum is a network of tubes and sheets .
- It looks like long tubules or round or oblong bags .
- This organelle makes and transports proteins in the cell.
- There are two kinds of Endoplasmic Reticulum:
- Rough endoplasmic reticulum(RER) : It has tiny particles called ribosomes attached to its surface thus making it look rough.
- It is responsible for production of proteins .
Smooth endoplasmic reticulum(SER)
Does not have any ribosomes
attached hence looks smooth.
- It is responsible for production of fats and steroids .
What are Ribosomes?
Ribosomes are sites for production of protein .
- So all our protein requirements are taken care of by the ribosomes and thus by the rough endoplasmic reticulum.
- Some of the proteins and lipids are used to build and maintain the cell membrane, in a process called membrane biogenesis .
- Other proteins and lipids function as enzymes and hormones .
- The Endoplasmic reticulum is responsible for storing and transporting these fats and proteins throughout the cell.