The Golgi body comprises 5 to 8 cup-shaped, series of compartments .
- Its main function is the packaging and secretion of proteins .
- In the Golgi Body the proteins made by the ER are packaged into membrane-bound vesicles (bags).
- These are then transported to various destinations according to the cells need , such as lysosomes, plasma membrane, cell wall or wherever it is required.
- Sometimes, complex sugars may be made from simple sugars inside the golgi bodies.
- It is also involved in the formation of Lysosomes