What do you observe in this diagrammatic representation of xylem and phloem?
- They are composed of more than one kind of cells
- They are examples of Complex Permanent Tissues .
- All these cells perform a common function together
- Xylem and Phloem conduct material through the plants , which collectively constitute the vascular bundle .
- The cells have thick walls
- They can conduct water and minerals only in one direction (root to leaves)
- Only Xylem Parenchyma is living and others are dead cells.
- The cells and their functions are:
- Sieve tubes are tubular cells with perforated walls
- In phloem materials can move in both directions in it.
- Food is transported from leaves (where it is prepared) to other parts of the plant .
- Phloem cells are living cells except Phloem fibres .