The following are some of the uses of bases:
- Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) is used to manufacture soaps and paper .
- Sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO 3 ) is used as baking soda while baking cakes. It is used for cleaning purposes and in fire extinguishers
- Calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH) 2 ) is used in the manufacturing of cement
- Ammonia (NH 3 ) is used in fertilizers
- Magnesium hydroxide (Mg(OH) 2 ) is used as an antacid to treat gastric acidity
- Sodium Fluoride (NaF) is a weak base present in toothpaste and kills bacteria in the mouth
- Bases are also used in labs to perform experiments and to analyse substances based on reactions.