Give two important uses of washing soda and baking soda.
Uses of washing soda (Hydrated Sodium Carbonate - Na 2 CO 3 .10H 2 O)
- Sodium carbonate (washing soda) is used in glass, soap and paper industries.
- It is used in the manufacture of sodium compounds such as borax.
- Sodium carbonate can be used as a cleaning agent for domestic purposes.
- It is used for removing permanent hardness of water.
Uses of baking soda ( Sodium Hydrogen carbonate - NaHCO 3 )
- For making baking powder, which is a mixture of baking soda (sodium hydrogen carbonate) and a mild edible acid such as tartaric acid.
- Sodium hydrogencarbonate is also an ingredient in antacids. Being alkaline, it neutralises excess acid in the stomach and provides relief.
- It is also used in soda-acid fire extinguishers.