- Atoms are the smallest particles that can exist in nature but not independently.
(Neon, Argon, etc.)
as they have
completely filled outermost shell
(Octet rule - 8 electrons in the outermost shell) and
can exist independently
- On the other hand ions are formed when atoms lose or gain electrons . Thus they are either positively or negatively charged.
- The atoms do not have completely filled outermost shell .
- This makes them unstable and cannot exist independently
- So they lose or gain electrons to attain noble gas configuration and thus stability.
- So ions have noble gas configurations and atoms don’t.
- Thus the ions are more stable as against the atoms.
Why ions are more stable than atoms
Last updated at June 24, 2021 by Teachoo