Dam is a barrier which restricts the flow of river water.
Advantages of Dams
We construct dams because
- Water from dams is used for irrigation. Dams make sure water is available for crops throughout the year.
- Water from Dams is treated and distributed in nearby towns and cities for drinking purposes.
- Dams are used to generate Electricity through Hydro Electric Power.
- Dams prevent loss of life and property caused by flooding . It stores or diverts the water during floods
- Dams provide recreation around the area. We can do boating, fishing, do picnics around the dam area.
Disadvantages of Dams
The main problems of large dams are
- Social Problems - Large number of inhabitants of the area near the dam are displaced without adequate compensation or rehabilitation
- Economic Problems - Huge amount of money is required for construction of dams, and the adequate benefits are not received by the public
- Environmental Problems - When making the dam, the Biological diversity near the dam is harmed. It also leads to huge amounts of deforestation