What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a solar cooker? Are there places where solar cookers would have limited utility?
The advantages of using a solar cooker are
- It does not pollute the environment, unlike coal.
- Food is cooked at a lower temperature in a solar cooker, hence the nutrients of the food are not destroyed.
- It helps us save fossil fuels like coal, kerosene and LPG.
The disadvantages of using a solar cooker are
- Since solar cooker operates only when the sun is present, it can not used during night.
- A solar cooker can not be used during the day if the sky is covered with clouds.
- The direction of solar reflector has to be changed from time to time depending upon the direction of the sun.
There are certain places which receive no, or very little sunlight during the winter season.
Hence, solar cookers would have limited utility at such places.