Answer in brief
(d) What are the causes and consequences of deforestation?
(d) Causes of deforestation -
- Forests are cleared in order to obtain land for urbanisation and industrialisation.
- Forests are destroyed to clear land for crops and cattle grazing.
- Trees are cut down to be used for firewood.
- Trees are also destroyed due to natural calamities like earthquakes, tsunami
Consequences of deforestation:
- Increase in temperature and Global Warming
- Increase in pollution
- Soil erosion
- Loss of habitat of wild animals
- Shortage of food and forest produce
- Leads to natural calamities like floods and droughts.
- Disruption of water cycle