Riya and Ravi had a conversation about the results of Ravi's photography contest.
Report Riya's question.
Did you win the first prize?
Answer as written by the student:
Riya asked Ravi if he had won the first prize.
Step-by-step explanation of the answer:
In this question, you have to report Riya’s question in a sentence. 📝
To report a question, you have to change it into a statement that tells what someone asked. A reported question usually ends with a period (.) and has the same word order as a statement. 📣
- To report a question, you also have to make some changes according to the context and the tense. For example, you may have to change the pronouns, the verb forms, the time expressions, and the punctuation. 🔄
- In this case, the question is: Did you win the first prize? 🏆
To report this question, you have to follow these steps: 🚶♂️
- Change the pronoun “you” to “he”, because you are reporting what Riya asked Ravi. 🙋♂️
- Change the verb “did” to “had”, because you are reporting a past tense question in the past tense. The verb “win” also changes to “won” to match the tense. 🕒
- Change the word order from “Did you win” to “if he had won”, because you are reporting a yes/no question as a statement. You can also use “whether” instead of “if”. 🔁
- Remove the question mark (?) and add a period (.) at the end of the sentence, because you are reporting a question as a statement. 🔚
- Add “Riya asked Ravi” at the beginning of the sentence, because you are reporting who asked whom. You can also use other verbs like “inquired”, “wondered”, or “queried”. 🔜
Therefore, the correct way to report Riya’s question is: Riya asked Ravi if he had won the first prize. ✅