Why did Mahatma Gandhi lay emphasis on spinning yarn and weaving khadi?
Points to remember
- Support Indian handloom and provide employment .
- Boycott British goods and support Indian goods .
- To develop patriotism
- To re-establish the Indian textile Industry and promote Indian products .
- To decrease imports and dependency on Britishers to make India self-sufficient .
Answer to be written
Our traditional industries had suffered a setback during colonial rule because they could not compete with a mill made cloths from England . That resulted in the closure of Indian handloom industries.
Gandhiji laid emphasis on spinning and weaving khadi because of the following reasons
- To support Indian handlooms and provide employment to weavers .
- To boycott British goods and support Indian (Swadeshi) goods .
- To develop a sense of patriotism among Indians.
- To re-establish the Indian textile industry and promote made-in-India products.
- To decrease imports and dependency on Britishers and make India self-sufficient .