Explain with examples any five factors that are responsible for industrial location.
Points to remember
- Availability of raw material at cheap cost
- Availability of infrastructure to transport finished goods.
- Availability of power resources like coal and oil
- Availability of skilled labour
- Availability of services like banking, insurance, transport, labour, consultants and financial advisors and friendly government policies
Answer to be written
Industrial locations are complex in nature and can be influenced by many factors some of them are:
Availability of raw materials
: Industries tend to locate at those locations where
are available at a
or near the source of raw materials
to save transportation cost
are located in Maharashtra and
mills are located in West Bengal due to the availability of raw materials.
Availability of infrastructure
save cost on transportation
industries require developed infrastructure for the
of raw materials, workers and finished goods.
Availability of power resources
: Industries require resources like
coal and oil
to produce goods. Industries tend to locate
near the coal fields
are located near hydroelectric stations.
Availability of skilled labour
: To save cost industries tend to locate where there is an
availability of cheap and skilled labour
in Firodabad and the
sports goods industry
in Jalandhar are located because of the availability of skilled labour.
- Government policies and availability of other services : Apart from the above-mentioned factors government policies and availability of other services like banking, insurance etc also play an important role in the location of an industry. Industries need fewer restrictions and friendly government policies to run smoothly.