Suggest any three steps to minimize the environmental degradation caused by the industrial development in India.
Points to remember:
- Reusing and recycling water in different stages.
- Using rainwater for harvest
- Treating hot water and effluents from industries before releasing them into rivers.
- By legally regulating the over-use of groundwater .
- Fitting smokestacks in factories to reduce particulate matter .
- Using oil and gas instead of coal
- Redesigning machinery and equipment and using silencers in generators
- Using noise-absorbing materials .
Answer to be written:
Environmental degradation caused by industrial development can be minimized in the following ways:
- By minimising the use of water for processing by reusing and recycling it in two or more successive stages.
- By using rainwater to meet the water requirement for harvest .
- By treating hot water and effluents (liquid waste) from industries before releasing them into rivers and ponds.
- By legally regulating the overdrawing of groundwater reserves by industries where there is a threat to groundwater resources.
- By fitting smokestacks to factories with electrostatic precipitators, fabric filters, scrubbers and inertial separators to reduce particulate matter in the air.
- By using oil and gas instead of coal to reduce smoke from factories.
- By redesigning machinery and equipment and using silencers in generators to increase energy efficiency and reduce noise .
- By using noise-absorbing materials apart from personal use of earplugs and earphones.
(Any three points)