Dairy- the other common activity
- Dairy is a common activity in many families of Palampur.
- People feed their buffalos on various kinds of grass and the jowar and bajra that grows during the rainy season.
- The milk is sold in Raiganj , the nearby large village. Two traders from Shahpur town have set up collection cum chilling centers at Raiganj from where the milk is transported to faraway towns and cities
An example of small-scale manufacturing in Palampur
- Less than fifty people are engaged in manufacturing in Palampur.
- Manufacturing that takes place in the big factories in the towns and cities, manufacturing in Palampur involves very simple production methods a nd are done on a small scale.
- They are carried out mostly at home or in the fields with the help of family labour.
The shopkeepers of Palampur
- People involved in trade (exchange of goods) are not many in Palampur.
- The traders of Palampur are shopkeepers who buy various goods from wholesale markets in the cities and sell them in the village.
- Small general stores in the village selling a wide range of items like rice, wheat, sugar, tea, oil, biscuits, soap, toothpaste, batteries, candles, notebooks, pen, pencil, and some cloth.
Transport: a fast developing sector
- There are variety of vehicles on the road connecting Palampur to Raiganj.
- Rickshawallahs, tonga wallahs, jeeps, tractors, truck drivers and people driving the traditional bullock cart and bogey are people in the transport services.