- Our stomach contains hydrochloric acid which helps to digest food.
- Too much acid causes indigestion .
- To relieve indigestion we take antacids (antacid means ' anti-acid ') such as milk of magnesia which contains magnesium hydroxide .
- It is a base that neutralises the effect of excessive acid .
Ant Bite/ Bee sting:
- When an ant bites it injects the acid into the skin.
- The acid is called Formic acid . It causes irritation .
- The effect of the acid can be neutralised by rubbing a mild base like moist baking soda (sodium hydrogen carbonate).
- Excessive use of chemical fertilisers make the soil acidic .
- Plants do not grow well when soil is either too acidic or too basic .
- When soil is too acidic it is treated with base such as quicklime (calcium oxide) or slaked lime (calcium hydroxide)
- When soil is too basic , then decaying organic matter ( manure or compost ) is added to it.
- Factory waste contains acids .
- If they are allowed to flow into water bodies (like lake,ponds and rivers, etc), the acid will kill fish and other organisms.
- The factory waste is therefore neutralised by adding basic substances .