What is Shadow:
Shadows are formed when light is stopped by an object. A dark shape on a surface that is caused by an object between the light and that surface , then a shade is formed behind it and this shade cast by an object is called its shadow.
Requirements to form a shadow?
- Source of light.
- An Opaque object ( to obstruct the path of light).
- A screen on which the shadow can be seen.
Characteristics of a Shadow:
- It is always erect ( same side up as the object).
- Irrespective of the colour of the object, the shadow is always black.
- It can be smaller, equal or bigger than the object.
- Shadow is formed on the opposite side of source of light.
- Shadow is real because it can be formed on screen.