How are nervous organs Protected?
- Brain is a delicate organ required for all processes and actions in our body and is therefore a very important organ.
- If nerves are damaged, then performing basic functions like moving our hands, walking etc will be very difficult.
- The nerves can't regenerate their neurons to fix themselves if damaged, thus need to be protected.
- The brain is placed in a bony box called cranium and is a part of the skull.
Inside the brain box there is a fluid-filled balloon that acts as a shock absorber/ spring/ cushion called meninges .
- The fluid is called the cerebrospinal fluid .
- The spinal cord is protected by the vertebral column or backbone .
- The vertebral column is formed by 33 individual bones called vertebrae
You can feel your backbone if you run your hand down the middle of your back.