- It is a long, narrow cylindrical tube , made up of nervous tissue.
- It lies inside the vertebral column .
- It extends from the base of the brain upto early part of the lumbar region .
- It carries signals from the brain to the body and vice versa.
- Spinal cord is also protected by three layers of tissue or membranes called meninges .
- The cavity between the layers is filled with cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). This fluid circulates around your brain and spine to protect them.
- The brain is the command center for your body, and the spinal cord is the pathway for messages sent by the brain to the body and from the body to the brain.
- It is the center of many reflex activities.