(a) Write two harmful effects of using plastic bags on the environment. Suggest alternatives to the usage of plastic bags.
(b) List any two practices that can be followed to dispose off the waste produced in our homes.
Harmful effects of using plastic bags are:
- Plastic bags are non-biodegradable. Hence, they do not decompose and remain in the soil for thousands of years.
- If animals like cows consume plastic bags accidentally, it can choke them and lead to death.
We can reduce the use of plastic bags by replacing them with cotton bags or jute bags.
Practices that can be followed to dispose wastes in our homes are:
- Recycling non-biodegradable wastes.
- Segregating waste into biodegradable and non-biodegradable.
- Safe disposal of plastic bags.
- Preparing a compost pit for kitchen wastes.