The flow of energy between various components of the environment has been extensively studied. Give an outline of the findings.
- The flow of energy is unidirectional.
- Terrestrial plants take about 1% of the sun’s energy and convert it to chemical energy.
- A great amount of energy is lost as heat.
- A great amount of energy is used for digestion, growth and reproduction.
- Food chains mostly consist of 3 to 4 trophic levels.
- Due to the 10% law, the amount of energy available will not be sufficient for the survival of the organism in the 5 th trophic level.