(i) What is meant by the terms alternating current and direct current?
(ii) Name a source of alternating current and a source of direct current.
(iii) Mention the frequency of AC supply in India.
(iv) State two important advantages of alternating current over direct current.
If current flows only in one direction , it is direct current.
Alternate current reverses direction in equal intervals of time.
- Source of direct current: electric cell
- Source of alternating current: electric generator
(iii)The frequency of AC supply in India is 50Hz.
(iv)Advantages of alternating current (AC) over direct current (DC):
- AC can be transmitted over long distances without much loss of energy.
- Generating AC is easy and economical.
- Easy to convert into DC .