In order to Save Environment from harmful effects of plastic,we should use 5R Principal
- R educe
- R euse
- R ecycle
- R epurpose (or Recover)
- R efuse
This means that we should use less.
- Save Electricity by switching off un-necessary lights and fans
- Save water by repairing leaky taps
- Do not waste food
Reusing means using the same thing again and again.
- Instead of throwing papers, we can reverse it and use it again
- Plastic bottles can be used again to store items
- We can take polythene bags wih us while going to market and ask shopkeeper to put goods in that polythene bag instead of using new one.
This means we should collect items like plastic, paper, glass, metal and use these materials to make new products, instead of using new plastic, or new metals.
- We should use the kind of plastics which can be recycled to make new products, like Thermoplastics
Repurpose (or Recover)
It means converting waste into resources
Example - Waste plastic bottles can be used to make boat
We can use cups without handles to grow plants
We can refuse to use products which are harmful to the environment
Example - We should say no to single use plastic bags