Mention any four main objectives of multipurpose river valley projects. Name any two Multipurpose Projects of India.
Points to Remember
The objectives of multipurpose river valley objects are
- serves several purposes.
- hydraulic structures like dams
- traditionally built to impound rivers and rainwater
- dams are built not just for irrigation
- electricity generation , water supply for domestic and industrial uses, flood control .
*Write any 3 points
Answer to be written in the exam
- A multipurpose project is that which simultaneously serves several purposes .
- Sophisticated hydraulic structures like dams come under multi-purpose river valley projects.
- Today, dams are built not just for irrigation but for electricity generation , water supply for domestic and industrial uses , flood control , recreation , inland navigation and fish breeding .
Multipurpose projects of India : Bhakra Nangal Project on Sutlej river and Hirakud Project on Mahanadi.