Read the extract and answer the following questions-
Then there was no looking back for this determined young girl. She saved money and enrolled in a course at Uttarkashi’s Nehru Institute of Mountaineering. “My college semester in Jaipur was to end in April but it ended on the nineteenth of May. And I was supposed to be in Uttarkashi on the twenty-first. So, I did not go back home; instead, I headed straight for the training. I had to write a letter of apology to my father without whose permission I had got myself enrolled at Uttarkashi.”
(Reach for the Top)
Which of the following is NOT a synonym for the word "determined" in the given context?
- (a) Resolute
- (b) Ambitious
- (c) Indecisive
- (d) Persistent
Answer as written by the student:
Step-by-Step explanation of the answer:
- A synonym is a word that has the same or nearly the same meaning as another word.
- In the given context, the word "determined" means having made a firm decision and being resolved not to change it.
- The words "resolute", "ambitious", and "persistent" are synonyms for "determined" because they also mean having a strong will or desire to achieve something or to overcome difficulties.
- The word "indecisive" is not a synonym for "determined" because it means not able to make decisions quickly or firmly, or showing a lack of confidence or certainty.
- Therefore, the correct answer is C. Indecisive.👎
Why is it fair to say that the narrator's tone, when he says "She saved money and enrolled in a course at Uttarkashi’s Nehru Institute of Mountaineering", is factual and informative? Answer in about 40 words.