There is one error in each line of the passage given below. Identify the errors and correct them. The first one has been done as an example:Error Correction
Animals were great builders, using e.g., were are
simple materials by employed sound (a) _______ _______
engineering principles. The webs for spiders (b) _______ _______
provide a most vivid examples of animal (c) _______ _______
structures build entirely in tension. (d) _______ _______
Spider web silk is so strength that many (e) _______ _______
species of birds uses it to build their (f) _______ _______
nests. It have a stiffness index which (g) _______ _______
is thirty times less than that for steel, yet (h) _______ _______
has a tensile strength one and a half times as much as that of steel.
- (a) - Employed: “Employed” is used with simple or perfect tenses and not with the continuous tense . So, the correct word is ‘employing’.
- (b) - For: “For” is used with purpose . So, the correct word is ‘of’ ..
- (c) - A: “A” is used with unspecified things and not when objects are specified . So, the correct word is ‘the’.
- (d) - Build: “Build” is used with simple tense and not with the perfect tense . So, the correct word is ‘built’.
- (e) - Strength: “Strength” is used as an abstract noun and not as an adjective. So, the correct word is ‘strong’.
- (f) - Uses: “Uses” is used with singular subjects and not with plural. So, the correct word is ‘use’.
- (g) - Have: “Have” is used with plural subjects and not singular . So, the correct word is ‘has’ .
- (h) - For: “For” is used with purpose . So, the correct word is ‘of’ .
Thus the correct paragraph is
Animals are great builders, using simple materials by employing sound engineering principles. The webs for spiders provide the most vivid examples of animal structures built entirely in tension. Spider web silk is so strong that many species of birds use it to build their nests. It has a stiffness index which is thirty times less than that of steel, yet has a tensile strength one and a half times as much as that of steel.