The following passage has not been edited. There is an error in each line. Write the incorrect word and the correction against the correct blank number the first one has been done for you as an example:
Thousands of year ago oil lamps e.g., year years
was used by man. These lamps used (a) ______ ______
animal fat and vegetable oil to burning. (b) ______ ______
Before 2000 years ago candles were made (c) _____ _____
by dipping strands of cotton in animal fat. (d) _____ _____
Invention of moulded candles extends (e) ______ ______
their activity beyond day light hours. (f) ______ ______
Discovery for petroleum gave kerosene as (g) _____ _____
a fuel. Soon people starts using cast iron oil stoves. (h) _____ _____
- (a) - Was: “Was” is used with singular subjects and not with plural subjects . So, the correct word is ‘were’.
- (b) - To: “To” is used when something is to be given to someone and not with the purpose of a sentence . So, the correct word is ‘for’ .
- (c) - Before: “Before” is used when the sentence is talking about the timing of an event and not with estimates . So, the correct word is ‘about’ .
- (d) - In: “In” is used when one object lies within the other and not when it is inserted in another . So, the correct word is ‘into’.
- (e) - Extends: “Extends” is used with present tense and not with past tense. So, the correct word is ‘extended’.
- (f) - Activity: “Activity” is used as singular and not plural. So, the correct word is ‘activities’.
- (g) - For: “For” is used with purpose . So, the correct word is ‘of’ .
- (h) - Starts: “Starts” is used with present tense and not with past tense . So, the correct word is ‘started’ .
Thus the correct paragraph is
Thousands of years ago oil lamps were used by man. These lamps used animal fat and vegetable oil for burning. About 2000 years ago candles were made by dipping strands of cotton into animal fat. Invention of moulded candles extended their activities beyond daylight hours. Discovery of petroleum gave kerosene as a fuel. Soon people started using cast iron oil stoves.