Explain how animals in Vertebrates are classified into further subgroups.
Vertebrata is divided into two superclasses, viz. Pisces and Tetrapoda .
- Animals of Pisces have streamlined body with fins and tails to assist in swimming.
- Animals of Tetrapoda have four limbs for locomotion.
Tetrapoda is further classified into following classes:
- Amphibia: These animals are adapted to live in water and on land. They can breathe oxygen through skin when under water.
- Reptilia: These are crawling animals. Skin is hard to withstand extreme temperatures.
- Aves: Their forelimbs are modified into wings to assist in flying. Their beaks are present. Body is covered with feathers.
- Mammalia: Mammary glands present to nurture young ones. Skin is covered with hair. Most of the animals are viviparous.