Since NCERT Books are changed, we are still changing the name of content in images and videos. It would take some time.
But, we assure you that the question is what you are searching for, and the content is the best -Teachoo Promise. If you have any feedback, please contact us.
Carry out the following osmosis experiment:
Take four peeled potato halves and scoop each one out to make potato cups. One of these potato cups should be made from a boiled potato. Put each potato cup in a trough containing water.
- Keep cup A empty
- Put one teaspoon sugar solution in cup B
- Put one teaspoon salt solution in cup C
- Put one teaspoon sugar solution in the boiled potato cup D. Keep these for two hours.
Then observe the four potato cups and answer the following:
- Explain why water gathers in the hollowed portion of B and C.
- Why is potato A necessary for this experiment?
- Explain why water does not gather in the hollowed out portions of A and D.
Substances move from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration through a semipermeable membrane . This process is called osmosis .
Water also follows this principle.
i. In the first cup ,
- There is no movement of water through the potato alone .
- Potato cup A is necessary in the experiment as a ‘ control experiment ’ for providing comparisons with situations created in potato cups B, C and D.
For osmosis, there should be a gradient in concentration .
In this case there is water outside the cup but none inside the cup and hence no concentration gradient . Thus, water will not flow through the membrane.
ii. Cups B and C contain sugar and salt solutions
- This means that the concentration of water inside the cups is lesser than that outside .
- Hence, water gathers in cup B and C due to Osmosis .
iii. In the case of cup D ,
- The potato is boiled . Heating the cell membrane (which is made of proteins) leads to the destruction of the cell membrane due to the proteins being denatured .
- The destroyed cell membrane cannot act as a semi permeable membrane .
- Without a semi permeable membrane osmosis will not take place .