What would happen if the plasma membrane ruptures or breaks down?
- The plasma membrane is found in all cells and separates the inside of the cell from the external environment .
- This membrane is also responsible for passage of materials in and out of the cell .
- Should a plasma membrane rupture , all the contents of the cell will leak out and at the same time get exposed to external environments that it may not be able to endure.
- Harmful foreign bodies may also attack the cell.
- In any of the cases, the cell will die if its plasma membrane ruptures or breaks down.