If Z = 3, what would be the valency of the element? Also, name the element.
- Z represents the atomic number of an element.
- Z = 3 means, atomic number = 3
- That is, number electrons/protons = 3
- 3 electrons are accommodated different shells as follows,
K Shell = 2 e -
L Shell = 1 e -
- Now, since the L shell has only 1 e - , it will lose it to become more stable.
- Since the atom loses 1 e - , its valency will be 1 .
We know that Atomic Number of Lithium is 3,
Hence, the element is Lithium (Li).