Which is the most abundantly available fossil fuel in India? Assess the importance of its different forms.
Points to remember :
Answer to be written :
- In India, coal is the most abundantly available fossil fuel. It provides a substantial part of a nation's energy needs.
- Coal is found in variety of forms depending on degrees of compression and depth and time of burial.
- PEAT : Decaying plants in swamps produce peat, which has a low carbon and high moisture content and low heating capacity.
- LIGNITE : i s a low grade brown coal which is soft, with high moisture content.
- Principal lignite reserves are in Nevyeli in Tamil Nadu and are used for generation of electricity.
- BITUMINOUS : Coal that has been buried deep and subjected to increased temperatures is bituminous coal, It is the most popular coal in commercial use.
- Metallurgical coal is high grade bituminous coal which has a special value for smelting iron in blast furnaces.
- ANTHRACITE : is the highest quality hard coal.