Why is it necessary to conserve mineral resources? Explain any four ways to conserve mineral resources.
Points to remember :
- Minerals are finite and non renewable.
- They need to be used judiciously , as they require millions of years to be created again.
- Ways to conserve minerals like using scrap metals, recycling of metals, innovating new technologies should be adopted.
- Wastage of mining should be reduced.
Answer to be written in exam :
We need to conserve mineral resources because :
- We are rapidly consuming mineral resources that require millions of years to be created and concentrated.
- Geological processes of mineral formation are so slow that the rates of replenishment are infinitely small in comparison to the present rates of consumption.
- Mineral resources are finite and non renewable.
(any 1 point)
Efforts have to be made to use our mineral resources in a planned and sustainable manner.
- Ways to conserve minerals :
- Improved technologies need to be evolved to allow use of low grade ores at low costs.
- Recycling of metals
- Using scrap metals and other substitutes are steps in conserving our mineral resources for future.
- Wastage in mining and processing should be minimized.
(any 4 points, 1 + 4)