Describe any five salient features of the Constitution of India.
Explain the terms Sovereign, Socialist, Secular, Democratic and Republic of the Constitution of India.
Points to remember
- Sovereign —People have the supreme right to make decisions .
- Socialist — Wealth to be shared equally .
- Secular — All religions should be treated equally .
- Democratic — People have political equality .
- Republic — Head of the state is a common man elected by the people .
Answer to be written
- Sovereign : People have the supreme right to make decisions on internal as well as external matters . No external power can dictate the Government of India .
- Socialist : Wealth is generated socially and should be shared equally by society . The government should regulate the ownership of land and industry to reduce socioeconomic inequalities .
- Secular : Citizens have complete freedom to follow any religion . But there is no official religion . The government treats all religious beliefs and practices with equal respect .
- Democratic : A form of government where people enjoy equal political rights , elect their rulers and hold them accountable . The government is run according to some basic rules .
- Republic : The head of the state is an elected person and not a hereditary position .