Read the extract and answer the following questions.
The makeup room had the look of a haircutting salon with lights at all angles around half a dozen large mirrors. They were all incandescent lights, so you can imagine the fiery misery of those subjected to makeup. The makeup department was first headed by a Bengali who became too big for a studio and left. He was succeeded by a Maharashtrian who was assisted by a Dharwar Kannadiga, an Andhra, a Madras Indian Christian, an AngloBurmese and the usual local Tamils. All this shows that there was a great deal of national integration long before A.I.R. and Doordarshan began broadcasting programmes on national integration.
(Poets and pancakes)
List any two sensory details present in this extract.
Answer as written by the student:
Two possible sensory details present in this extract are:
- The sight of the half a dozen large mirrors with lights at all angles
- The feeling of the fiery misery of those subjected to makeup
- To answer this question, we need to identify two details from the extract that appeal to one or more of the five senses: sight, hearing, smell, taste, or touch.
- Sensory details help the reader to imagine and understand the situation better.
- In this extract, one possible sensory detail is the sight of the half a dozen large mirrors with lights at all angles, which shows the appearance and atmosphere of the makeup room.
- Another possible sensory detail is the feeling of the fiery misery of those subjected to makeup, which shows the discomfort and pain of the actors who had to endure the heat of the incandescent lights.
- Therefore, these are two possible sensory details present in this extract.😊
What does A.I.R. stand for?
- All India Radio
- Air India Regional
- Association of Indian Radiologists
- Aviation Industry Regulation