Read the extract and answer the following questions.
We had survived for 15 hours since the wave hit, but Wavewalker wouldn’t hold together long enough for us to reach Australia. I checked our charts and calculated that there were two small islands a few hundred kilometres to the east. One of them, Ile Amsterdam, was a French scientific base. Our only hope was to reach these pinpricks in the vast ocean. But unless the wind and seas abated so we could hoist sail, our chances would be slim indeed. The great wave had put our auxilliary engine out of action.
(We’re not afraid to die together..
If we can all be together)
What was the name of the ship that the narrator and his family were sailing on?
Answer as written by the student:
The name of the ship that the narrator and his family were sailing on was Wavewalker.
- To answer this question, we need to locate the information that is directly given in the extract. We can use skimming and scanning skills to find the relevant part of the text quickly. For example:
- Skimming is reading quickly to get the main idea or gist of a text.
- We can skim the extract and see that it is about how the narrator and his family tried to survive after being hit by a huge wave.
- Scanning is reading quickly to find specific details or facts in a text.
- We can scan the extract and look for keywords or phrases related to the question, such as "name", "ship", or "sailing".
- We can then use these skills to find the answer in the first sentence of the extract. We can use quotation marks to indicate the exact words from the text. We can also use bold formatting to highlight the key words. For example:
- The answer is given in the first sentence of the extract: "We had survived for 15 hours since the wave hit, but **Wavewalker** wouldn’t hold together long enough for us to reach Australia".
What were the two small islands that the narrator hoped to reach?
- (a) Ile Amsterdam and Ile Saint-Paul
- (b) Ile Amsterdam and Ile Maurice
- (c) Ile Amsterdam and Ile de la Reunion
- (d) Ile Amsterdam and Ile de France