- In the first half of the twentieth century a growing anger against the colonial government was thus bringing togethe r various groups and classes of Indians into a common struggle for freedom.
- Under the leadership of Mahatma Gandhi , the Congress tried to channel people’s grievances into organised movements for independence .
- Through such movements the nationalists tried to forge a national unity .
- Diverse groups and classes participated in these movements with varied aspirations and expectations .
- As their grievances were wide-ranging, freedom from colonial rule also meant different things to different people .
- The Congress continuously attempted to resolve differences , and ensure that the demands of one group did not alienate another.
- What was emerging was a nation with many voices wanting freedom from colonial rule.