- Oxygen is the gas which we breathe in and it is required by all the organisms for their survival.
- It is the component of air which supports burning.
- All the living things( animals and plants) use the oxygen of air for respiration.
Uses of Oxygen:
- Oxygen is essential for breathing or respiration.
- Oxygen is also used in some medicines to respiratory disease.
- Oxygen is necessary for burning.
- It is also used for smelting metal from ore, to filter water, for making plastic.
Activity to show presence of oxygen in the air:
If we take 2 burning candles and place a glass tumbler over one of them , we’ll observe that the candle which we covered with the tumbler extinguishes after some time.
This is because, by placing the glass tumbler , we are cutting off the air (oxygen) supply and as soon as the oxygen which is present inside the inverted tumbler gets consumed , the candle extinguishes.