Germination is defined as the process of conversion of seed into sprout . This process is dependent on various abiotic factors. This can be shown by the following activity:
- Take some dry moong seeds . Soak some of them and keep some dry.
- Let them soak for a day.
- Do not disturb the dry seed and divide these soaked seeds into 4 parts.
- Let the first part be completely submerged in water for 3-4 days.
- Keep the second part in sunlight, third in a completely dark place and the last part in very cold surroundings (eg. refrigerator).
- Let these seeds grow and change the water everyday.
It will be observed that all these sets show different germination patterns . It is slow in some and some may even die due to lack of proper abiotic factors.
Therefore, abiotic factors are very important for growth of plants and animals.