Give a brief description of the process of synthesis of food in green plants.
Green plants make their own food (Carbohydrates) from Carbon dioxide and water in the presence of sunlight and chlorophyll. This process is called photosynthesis.
Steps of Photosynthesis
- Leaves have tiny pores called stomata .
- These help take in carbon dioxide and give out oxygen .
- Green leaves have a colour pigment called chlorophyll .
- It helps to capture the sunlight .
- The chlorophyll, carbon dioxide, sunlight and water help to synthesise food . This process is called photosynthesis
- Since sunlight is required for the process, it only occurs during the day .