You are given a hammer, a battery, a bulb, wires and a switch.
(a) How could you use them to distinguish between samples of metals and non-metals?
(b) Assess the usefulness of these tests in distinguishing between metals and nonmetals.
By the given materials, 2 sets of experiments can be done in order to distinguish if a given substance is metal or nonmetal.
- The Hammer can be used to check the malleability, hardness, and sonority of a substance.
- Metals are malleable , that is, they can be broken down into thin sheets without breaking
- Most metals are hard . They don’t break/deform when force is applied.
- Metals are sonorous . They make sounds when hit.
- Non-metals are Brittle, soft, and not sonorous .
can be used to
of a substance.
A set up of a bulb, wire, 2 holders and a switch can be made as shown below.
Now, attach the substances to be tested in the holders one by one
- Metals conduct electricity . So, if the substance is metallic the bulb will light up when the switch is on.
- Non-metals are poor conductors. The bulb will not light up when the switch is on.