Defective Return means a return filed which is incomplete in some respect
- Certain details not filled properly in return (like Balance Sheet Profit and loss Details not filled)
- Notice for Defective Return is normally Issued if tax is due but not paid at the time of filling I.T.R . (New Amendment)
Effect of Amendment
If tax not paid at the time of filing return,
Earlier :-Return was deemed to be defective return
Now:- Return will not be treated as Defective Return
- If A.O. feels that I.T.R. is defective he may ask the Assesse to rectify the defect within 15 days .
- This period of 15 days may be extended if Assessee gives application to A.O.
- If Assessee does not rectify the same within above 15 days period (or extended period) A.O. shall treat ITR as Invalid .
- If Assessee rectifies defect after 15 days / or extended period. A.O. can condone the delay and treat return as valid Return .