Name the planet which has a reddish appearance.
Answer by Student
The planet which has reddish appearance is Mars .
Detailed Explanation by Teachoo
Mars is the fourth planet from the Sun and the second smallest planet in the solar system. It is often called the Red Planet because of its reddish color. The color comes from the iron oxide, or rust, that covers most of its surface.
Mars has many interesting features, such as:
- Polar caps : Mars has two polar caps made of ice and frozen carbon dioxide, or dry ice. They change in size depending on the season.
- Volcanoes : Mars has the largest volcano in the solar system, called Olympus Mons. It is about 22 km high and 600 km wide. Mars also has three other giant volcanoes, called Tharsis Montes.
- Canyons : Mars has the longest and deepest canyon in the solar system, called Valles Marineris. It is about 4,000 km long and 7 km deep. It was formed by tectonic forces that cracked the crust of Mars.
- Craters : Mars has many craters caused by impacts from asteroids and comets. Some of the craters are very old and some are very young. Some of the craters have evidence of water or ice on their floors or walls.
- Dust storms : Mars has very strong winds that can create huge dust storms that cover the entire planet. The dust storms can last for weeks or months and can change the color and temperature of Mars.