State two common features of democratic countries.
Points to remember
Answer to be written in the exam:
Features of democratic countries:
- Freedom of speech, expression, and thought.
- Elections are held at regular intervals and are fair and free.
- The dignity of an individual is recognized.
- In a democracy, the final decision-making power must rest with those elected by the people.
- Democracy must be based on a free and fair election where those currently in power have a fair chance of losing.
- In a democracy, each adult citizen must have one vote and each vote must have one value.
- A democratic government rules within limits set by constitutional law and citizens’ rights.
*any 2 points